printing resolution

Hi,
I have my new (refurb) 3000 set up and several of you have said I will get
the sharpest output if I print at 1440 dpi. I printed one thing that I'd
scanned at 600 dpi, and it looked quite good. But o get the BEST results, it
sounds like I should scan a picture at a multiple of 72, am I right? So I
should scan at 720 (or 360)?  Note: I now have a number of Photoshop images
on disk that I've scanned at 600 dpi or created at 600 ppi. Do I need to
rescan them at 720 (or 360), or can I downsample from 600 to 360 and then
print at 1440 without loss of detail? If someone can answer this, it will
save me a lot of work.
Many thanks as always,
Pat

[Photo]     [Yosemite News]    [Yosemite Photos]    [Scanner]     [Gimp]     [Gimp Users]