Re: Profiling a Scanner

In a message dated 8/19/99 9:53:23 PM, hoekstra@netpath.net writes:

>I really hate showing my ignorance, but would be so happy to learn how
>profile a scanner and what the profiling accomplishes.

You need special software (which may come with your scanner if you are lucky,
or can be purchased; EZ Color is one example) and a special photograph called
an IT8 target, which has a data file with it. The software uses the scanner
to read the patches on the target, and compares its results to the "correct"
values provided by the data file. The differnces are compiled into a
fingerprint of the specific scanner, called an ICC profile, which can be used
to convert scans from that machine into a universal color space (such as LAB)
or a workingspace with an ICC profile of its own, or a printerspace, if you
have an ICC profle for the printer, and just want to dump images form the
scanner to the printer without any editing, in copier fashion. Works fairly
similarly with monitors and printers.

You can do this using system level color management on the Mac with
ColorSync, (or if you hold your tongue just right, under Win98 with ICM) or
through program level color management in Photoshop, and possibly a few other
programs.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com