ink splodges on envelope corners

Hiya's..

I'm getting 'splodges' of ink on the front right-hand corner of the
envelope (when looking down on printer from front). It's an ESC 3000.
It only happens with envelopes.. although I havn't tried anything else
thicker than 200gsm gloss cardboard.
I heard something about it being related to the spunges under where the
inkcartridge resting when in the 'home' possition, is this the case? .. if
so how do you clean them? .. otherwise, any suggestions?:-) ..

The ink 'splodges' appear about one in 20 envelopes, and for about 1/4
envelopes there is a small amount of ink spread along the very very edge of
the envelope on the same corner.. mostly only visible when looking side-on
to the envelope.

Thanks for any help,
Roger.

Roger Groom	            rog@omen.com.au