More on: Fotonics for Photos

I have done a few further experiments with the Fotonic four color inks for
the Stylus 3000, and find that once I get the custom profiles to apply
properly (some bug with the RIP perhaps) the results are supurb. Using the
lower half of the PhotoDisc test image as a sample photo I am now getting
results virtually indistinguishable from those of Epson inks. The only areas
in which it is possilbe to distinguish one from the other is in the brightest
reds (tomato, robot, dice) where if you overlap the imges to get the same
sections very near one another it is possbile to bearly differentiate a
slight reduction in the brilliance of the reds... not a problem for me! Here
we have an ink set with reduced fading and longer life for standard prints on
 matte and glossy papers, and very good life expectancies on uncoated stock.
So changing inks will be unnecessary. Note that these results are achieved by
creating careful custom profiles for the RIPs, inks, and papers involved. Do
not assume that simply running the Fotonic inks with standard Epson settings
get similar results! So unless I run into unexpected quirks down the line,
then this is my choice of a stock ink for the 3000, since changing inks on
this machine is not practical. Thanks to all who have assisted me with this.
As time allows I will check other items, such as compatability with Monaco EZ
Color,  differing RIPs and drivers, and papers.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-
* Free Ground Shipping (N.America) for two weeks only! We have a wide *
* variety of Ink Jet Coated Photo & Art Papers, Canvas and Specialty  *
* Inks.   Please visit us: http://www.digitalartsupplies.com          *