Re: Using a NikonLS2000 or Polaroid SprintScan 4000 with a Epson3000 printer ?

Hell, that was my question. It is pretty clear that using the Nikon system,
the positional integrity of a pixel is preserved because the scan head
doesn't move as the color illumination is changed. Now does a color mask CCD
scanner use interpolation algorithms to predict the proper color for each
pixel based on the neighboring pixels which of course have a different color
mask. Or is the CDD moved in a manner where for each position on the
original, it is scanned with a R, then B, then G CCD element. Note that one
parameter of a CCD is the element to element matching This is what causes
noise when you scan a uniform (intensity and color) target. The other
parameter is the "dark current", which is effectively the intensity of the
CCD element with no light source. The scanner firmware is supposed to remove
this error source. If the scanner moves the CCD to place a differently
"masked" CCD element, does this CCD to CCD element matching come into play.

My assumptions of the masked CCD design can be flawed as well. For instance,
the CCD used in a camera has alternating RGB. [I've heard some use more of
one color than another for some technical reason.] Maybe a film scanner has
a 3 line by whatever wide CCD, with each line being either RG or B.

It may be that certain elements of a photo will look better using the
monochrome CCD and other elements may be better with a higher resolution
color mask CCD. I guess that Nikons LED illumination is patented since no
one else has copied it.

FWIW, I am leaning towards buying this new Microtek if the performance is
good, solely out of price. It has been my experience in high tech toys that
buying something good but not top of the line is a good  plan because you
can get a new toy 2 years down the road that exceeds the toy that cost a
bundle at present. Given the $1600 list price of the new Mirotek, I bet it
will be a bit over a grand on the street, which is a price I can accept. You
professionals can write off your toys, er make that tools. [I've rambled a
bit too much already, but speaking of write offs, I was photographing a
local lighthouse one "dusk" and ran into another photographer with a fully
decked out Hasselblad system. It turned out he was a contractor (as in
building homes) and used the lighthouse on his business card to deduct the
photo gear. He changed the photos yearly on this business cards to keep
everything legal.]