unable to change cartridge on 1200

I have been unable to get the cartridge on my 1200 to move to the left, so
that I can change it with a new one. As per the instructions, I would hold
down the bottom button for three seconds. The printer then goes into
cleaning mode. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mel Englander
Digital Reflections
dreflect@bellsouth.net