Re: paintography with the epson750

<x-flowed>Peter <sandiego@i-manila.com.ph> wrote:
>I've really enjoyed using the Epson 750 printer and am happy with the
>results I'm getting.  I've joined a local camera club and participated in
>two of their contests.  This latest contest is paintography and since I've
>been hearing a lot of small talk (mostly concerning my "unfair advantage"
>due to the digital format I'm using), I'd like to ask if it is really
>against the rules to paint using the computer or rather color a grey scale
>photograph and print it out.  Being called a cheater is no fun at all.
>Initially I thought I would be welcome since I'm bringing in a new
>format... doesn't seem so.

Hand-painting B/W photographs with transparent color dyes has been
around since the beginning of photography, and probably reached its
apex during the early 1950's -- just as color photography was
starting (Kodacolor was introduced in 1946) to replace this process.
Today, Kodacolor prints from that era are about 80% faded away, while
the hand-colored B/W prints are still quite brilliant due to the
fade-resistant dyes and the silver/gelatin photo process.

The results from hand-coloring the prints or digital hand-coloring
are about the same, except that you can probably do it faster and
more precise (you can enlarge your image on the screen), and you can
easily UNdo mistakes.  This is probably what bothers your peers the
most.  I say, what's wrong with technology if the results are the
same, or even improved?  Would they complain if a new, easier to
apply and remove dye came out (or would they refuse to use it)?  How
about a new applicator brush that was easier and more accurate to use
than cotton swabs or Q-tips?  I don't think they would refuse to use
these "analog" or hands-on advances in technology, but they'll sneer
at the digital user -- who is only using the computer as an another
tool or extension of his hands.

(A little sideline comparison about this type of art snobbery: When
canvas was first introduced as a medium for oil painting (about the
14th Century?), many artists initially refuse to switch from their
hard boards to this more portable and flexible medium.)

The only other question should be about permanence:  If you output
your digitally colored B/W prints to a regular (OEM) inkjet ink and
paper combination, your prints are only going to last about 3 to 5
years at the most (about as long as the original Kodacolor prints)
before noticeable fading occurs.

You can find light-fast ink and paper combinations on our Web site at:

http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/archival_inks.html
or...
http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/luminos/index.html

Although Lyson and Luminos do not have "archival" ink cartridges for
the 750 or the 1200 printers at the moment, we have been told that
they will be available this fall.

    Royce Bair, Director
    royce@tssphoto.com
    The Stock Solution - "Inkjet Solutions" Division
	Try our new secure on-line order form!
    http://www.InkjetArt.com/

</x-flowed>