Re: Off Topic

"J. Arthur Davis" wrote:

> I know this is off topic, but I am going to ask anyway. Does anyone know
> how to set up your system to keep connected to the net. When I am
> reading my mail my computer times out about every 10 minutes and
> disconnects me from the web. This is a real pain in the posterior part
> of the anatomy.
>
> I looked at the settings on my connection but can not find anything to
> change. I do remember reading somewhere about a "ping" or something.
> Your help would sure be appreciated.

I had problems when I bought a budget 56K Diamond modem. The connection would
slow down and slow down and finally grind to a halt.  And it wouldn't take very
long, either.
Diamond tried to
help but the software on the disc that I was supposed to use to test this and
test that just made me crash; the rest of their suggestions were beyond me.
I tried lots of things; nothing worked.  Finally I bought a Global Village, and

the problem went away, at least 95% of the time.  You get what you pay for.
Of course, if you already have a quality modem, then this isn't any help.  :  )

James