Color Management

Ok...maybe its is true that my blonde roots are eating into my brain,
but I can't get this to work. I have read the PDF's at DigitalDog.net,
I have read the info at DigitalDarkroom. I have bought books, and
wasted a whole cartridge andquite a bit of photo paper. But I cannot
get what is on my screen to come out on the printer (not really even
close). I calibrated the monitor using Adobe Gamma. I'll take any help
I can get...I just really cannot afford a "custom profile" right now,
is that the only answer? I am using a PC and a Photo EX with PS5.0.2.
HELP!!!
Desperately yours,
Hilby