Re: And none of those epson prints...

George makes an interesting suggestion about the possibility of
issuing an image on a CD so that when the originally supplied
print fades the owner can use the CD to make a new one. However,
this sounds to me like a dangerous practice for the
artist/photographer, and anyway, latest word is that CD's won't last
more than ten years, though Kodak claims over 100 years for its
CD's.

Can one equate using bits and bytes to produce a print through
an Epson 3000, or whatever, with what a photographer, for example,
produces individually and 'hands-on' in the darkroom? It seems to
me that here we have two quite different products that are not
interchangeable, that can't be priced in the same way, and that
will have different markets. Sure, the machine-made print can be
an object of beauty but it relates more to the printing press than
to a hand-made object. You can produce a limited run of prints
through your Epson,  of course.

Talking about the longevity of prints, the current British Journal
of Photography has a supplement reviewing printers and
archival Lysonic inks. I haven't seen this article, but apparentley
the Lysonic inks are nowhere as archival as is claimed.

Brian Seed
Publisher, Stock Photo Report
Stock Photography Consultant
7432 Lamon Ave.,