Re: accelerated fading problem

I don't clean my desk! Maybe that's why. THe thing is, the printouts
that faded, were stacked together in a pile..around 10 printouts. some
faded, some didn't. I will try to isolate the cause and perhpas it was
some kind of chemical reaction...makes me lose much confidence in the
new Photo Paper ...in fact, prints handing on the wall for months now
(in well lit room) are still going strong so I can't figure out what's
up...

kokleong
http://come.to/digitaldarkroom

Bruce Roorda wrote:

> What do you use to clean the surface of your desk?  Some earlier
> post suggested that fumes from some cleaning or other maintenance
> products caused fading.
>
> Bruce Roorda
> Possum Hill Farm
>
> Tham Kok Leong wrote:
> > Has anyone experienced "sudden" fading before? By 'sudden'
> fading, I am
> > referring to really accelerated fading which happens in a matter
> of days
> > (!). I'm not kidding when I say that I have seen some prints
> (mainly
> > grayscale images) which show this effect. The fading is not
> uniform and
> > appears to affect only portions of the prinout...it's as if some
> parts of
> > the printout were protected by something and other 'exposed'
> parts were
> > not. Recently, when this happend to my prints, the printouts in
> question
> > had severe fading in some parts (the image turned magentish) and
> on some
> > printouts, the faded area could clearly be seen as a distinct
> area on the
> > printout, complete with clearly defined borders. I'm puzzled as
> to what
> > could have caused this. I did not put the prinouts in direct
> sunlight, only
> > on the desk in my office. BUt the printouts were in contact with
> other
> > books, documents etc.
> >
> > Someone suggested that it could be a ph (acidity) related cause.
> Perhaps
> > some object with high acidity was in contact with the printouts.
> My other
> > guess is heat (say from a cup of coffee etc). I am really
> puzzled and still
> > can't isolate what is the cause. Paper used is the New Photo
> Paper (ie the
> > one said to have longer print life) and Epson inks. Anyone have
> any idea
> > what could be the cuase? This is perhaps the 3rd time over the
> course of 1
> > year that I have observed this problem.
> >
> > Thanks
> > kokleong
> > http://come.to/digitaldarkroom
> >

> > -
> > Please: Stay on topic. Trim quoted messages.
> > http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.
>
> -
> Please: Stay on topic. Trim quoted messages.
> http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.

[Photo]     [Yosemite News]    [Yosemite Photos]    [Scanner]     [Gimp]     [Gimp Users]