What does RIP mean? ws Re: Postscript, PCL, Amigas (was: RIP flames)

On 12-Jul-99, Rafe B. wrote something like:
>At 11:44 PM 7/11/99 +0500, Steve Greenfield wrote:

>>I guess I have a RIP on my Amiga, I always thought that it was a RIP
>>when you are sending something to the printer. But I have a couple
>>of printer driver programs (no manufacturer writes them for the Amiga
>>anymore) that drive a lot of printers, and one of them will also print
>>Postscript. Does that make it a RIP?

>Interesting comment. (Or is it a question?)

A question. Doesn't RIP stand for something like Rasterize Image Processing
or something like that? I though someone said here what it stands for.

-
>If we accept that a RIP is anything that turns
>vectors into pixels on a printer, then yes, we all
>need a RIP at some time or another, if we're going
>to be printing graphic objects.

That would make any word processor and DTP and vector graphics program
a RIP, or they contain a RIP. Again, I thought it was the name of the
process of converting the image in whatever format to the actual
printer language/data. IE, convert a page of vector images and RGB
8bit per channel at whatever DPI to on/off CMY and K channels at 720dpi
(or whatever res you are printing at).

Can someone here tell us? Someone who knows and isn't guessing? I'm
perfectly capable of guessing for myself...

>As to Amigas, well, yes, almost all of us (over a
>certain age) have one or more broken-hearted former-
>Amiga-owners as acquaintances.  One in every crowd!

>It all harks back to the VHS-Beta battles. -snip "get a horse"-

Yes, yes, whatever. I'm not trying to convince anyone to use an Amiga,
please don't try and "convert" me. I -have- a W95 system, I -have-
a Mac Emulator (that runs faster than any nonPPC Mac, and faster than
older PPC Macs...) I have Photoshop, Pagemaker, Coreldraw, etc. If having
all that won't "convert" me, you certainly aren't. Besides, I have a
table saw, a bandsaw, a wood handsaw, a hacksaw, a jigsaw, a sawzall,
etc. I use what I feel works best for the job and no-one tries to
"convert" me to a specific brand, outside of the manufacturers.

What a RIP.  ;')

Back to the question of the RIP. We're way off topic.

--
Steve Greenfield               // Digital photo scanning, retouching,
Polymorph Digital Photography // and repair. Tshirts, cups, 8x10s.
Support the anti Junk Email amendment. Details at www.cauce.org

-