B/W printing on the 1200

I have been printing in colour with my 1200 using a profiled scanner
and a calibrated monitor getting extremely positive results. Then, last
week I decided to experiment printing out some black and white scans.
To my surprise the first print had a visible green cast. I had the
colour adjustment levels on the +0 default settings. Several prints
later, and using different setting combinations, I wasn't still able to
achieve a satisfactory B/W print.
I had to compensate, adding +6 magenta and +3 yellow, but my whites got
a slight magenta hue, and the overall tonal range was still off, even
though I got close to my reference image.
I am assuming that this is a common problem to all 1200's. The only
satisfactory B/W print came out when I used only the black ink, but of
course the resulting image had a discernable dithering pattern due to
the lesser dots coming out of the print heads. I know that printing
using the colour setting with B/W images is the way to go, but I
haven't been able to find a solution to the problem.
Any ideas, workarounds or positive experiences are welcome.

Alex
-