Re: 1440 dpi on Epson 1200

A message from Morrie Gasser contained:

>Modulo the possibility that I have an
>inferior lens on my 35mm camera or  enlarger, my conclusion is, if
>you're shooting 35mm and your goal is prints 8x10 or larger, the 1200
>is as good as the darkroom.  If you're shooting medium format, then
>you still can't beat conventional photographic materials with this
>printer. I imagine 4x6 prints of 35mm film could be sharper on
>photographic paper than on the printer, but most people don't look at
>smaller prints with such a critical eye.

May I express a different view?
The resolution of conventional photographic material depends very much on
the transmitted contrast. (Motif - camera lens - film - enlarger lens ...)
Photographic paper - the "conventional" one - has a pretty poor
resolution when compared to films.
That means you have to make quite large prints in order to see, what is
really on the film.
A 8 x 10 print is for sure too small for either 135 or 120 film. You only
see more details from the 120 negative because it offers more contrast to
the paper.

Up to a certain limit, you will discover more details if you make bigger
prints from film. And of course, given the same quality of the optical
chain, the 120 film will only then show much more detail. With a certain
scale, you will have every information from the film on your paper. (Well
- nearly ...)

So in this scenario there is an increase in quality with bigger
conventional prints, due to the "mediocre" resolution of photographic
paper.

And with our Epsons?
Given an "optimal" real world scan, printing resolution depends mainly on
the printer and remains the same for every square centimetre of paper.
Thus, if your printerresolution (for half tone dots) is higher than that
of photographic paper, you will have sharper prints from your Epson - up
to a certain size.

Above this size you get sharper prints from your enlarger, be it 135 or
120. (Proper optical chain granted ...) Your negative contains more
detail than an real world scan, right?

The rule of thumb becomes:
small prints: printer - big prints: enlarger

Regards,
Axel
-