Re: Digital Cameras

At 10:30 PM 7/5/99 -0400, Ira wrote:

>Well Rafe,
>I'm sorry for not reading every newgroup on the internet.
>Excuse me.

No problem there, Ira.  It's me that's being
testy.  But this is one of the threads that
goes round and round and round... (like pizza
wheels and Luminos inks.)  rec.photo.digital
is your place.

Fact is, it's hotter than hades over here, and --
for once -- I didn't feel like beating that particular
horse today.

>And don't forget to have the sherpas haul up the generator to run the
>scanner so you can send us those e-mail pix of the view.

The scanner could wait 'till I get home.  That, BTW,
is one of the advantages that film still retains over
digital, IMHO.  Amazing data density, and suprisingly
non-volatile.

"Flash cards" and such still have pitifully small
capacity, compared to a hi-res image.  So even if
you started with a 2 MPixel image, you might end
up compressing it 10:1 or more to get it onto your
Flashcard (or "digital film") -- with significant
loss of image quality, of course.

Consider:  27 MBytes for a single, uncompressed image
from my film scanner -- versus, say, 64 MB for one of the
larger -- and more expensive -- "digital film" cards
currently available.

No such problems with film.  Of course, you do have
to protect it from heat, x-rays, etc.  But latent
images have been known to last for decades, under the
right conditions.

I'm part of an older generation that can wait a few
days (even weeks, if need be) to see the images I've
captured.

rafe b.

-
** Endura-LE Archival Cartridges for Epson 1520/3000 Printers. **
**New! Refill Kits for Stylus Color 900, Stylus Photo 750, 1200**
**Cartridges, bulk ink, & refill kits at http://www.WeInk.com/ **