Re: Re:foreign settings

In a message dated 7/5/99 5:13:10 PM, jerryols@badlands.nodak.edu writes:

>Someone gives you a file for a 12x18 inch print, and the image looks
>pretty good on your monitor. BUT you have no idea of what settings he
>used to make the image. Should this image print about the same as your
>own pictures print, or would a completely different set of settings be
>needed? I guess the bottom line is, if an image looks good on the
>monitor you are using, should it print with the settings you have tested
>and found to work fairly well?

If you are using Photoshop with a calibrated monitor and a reasonable
workingspace (colormatch is almost entirely visible on a monitor, adobe rgb a
bit less so, wide format could be full of surprises) then you can expect most
anything to print about the same as your previous images, unless there are
especially brilliant colors at the edge of the gamut, or other uniques
issues. With any other program, the color you see is not necessarily
representative of what others see on different monitors, in different monitor
spaces. This also assumes an RGB image, if it is a CMYK image, then it may
contain black settings that do not show on screen, but will in print, but
that is a less likely situation, especially printing to the RGB driver, which
will reconvert this type of image anyhow...

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com
-
** Endura-LE Archival Cartridges for Epson 1520/3000 Printers. **
**New! Refill Kits for Stylus Color 900, Stylus Photo 750, 1200**
**Cartridges, bulk ink, & refill kits at http://www.WeInk.com/ **

[Photo]     [Yosemite News]    [Yosemite Photos]    [Scanner]     [Gimp]     [Gimp Users]