Re: Digital Cameras

Michael Greer wrote:

> With all this talk of the Durst Lambda, I just wanted to put my plug in for
> the Cymbolic Sciences' LightJet 5000 (http://www.cymbolic.com/). I've seen
> output from both. And both are amazing. But at least in my area (Detroit, MI),
> the LJ is more practical to use. Meteor Graphics in Troy, Michigan
> (http://www.meteor.com) charges a $50 setup fee for 50" wide and less prints,
> and $100 setup fee for greater than 50" wide prints for use of their Lambda.
> Whereas Foto1 (http://www.foto1.com) in Ann Arbor, Michigan doesn't charge any
> setup fee and the costs of the actual prints at various sizes are almost
> identicle.
>
> Evercolor Fine Art (http://www.evercolor.com) is another service/lab that uses
> the LightJet 5000. Their work is suppose to be top shelf. But their price
> structure for LJ prints is MUCH higher than Foto1's. For instance, they charge
> $37.00 for an 8x10, and $68 for a 16x20. Foto1 charges $16.10 for an 8x10 and
> $33.95 for a 16x20.
>
> --
> Mike Greer
>
> Come visit my web site on digital photography and other
> interesting topics at http://greer.simplenet.com .
> I have been extremely lazy, so many of the topics are
> not finished yet. But they will be, some day.
>
> -
> ** Endura-LE Archival Cartridges for Epson 1520/3000 Printers. **
> **New! Refill Kits for Stylus Color 900, Stylus Photo 750, 1200**
> **Cartridges, bulk ink, & refill kits at http://www.WeInk.com/ **

The price you are charged for a print has very little to do with the
cost. To produce an 8x10, in material cost, is about 45 cents. The real
cost is in the pay back of these machines. No only is there the cost of
the printer, computer, software etc., but you also have the cost of a
photo processor. A 50+" photo processor is not cheap. You also have the
service contract on these machines. The cost of a monthly service
contract on a Lambda could buy anyone a verrrrrry nice house!

If you do a check there are probably less than 200 large format digital
photographic printers worldwide. There are probably that many Epson
printers in my hometown alone.

Again, as I said before unless your really need that kind of quality,
the inkjet printer is the way to go.

Jim Davis
www.visual-artists.com/paper
-