Re: Traditional Canvas to 3000 Output

Tim Catlin wrote:

> Jon Cone wrote:
>
> >In our studio we prefer to scan C-Prints color corrected from negs for the
> >precise reason that grain will be less evident in the final output.  Negs
> >are difficult to scan "ungrainy".
>
> Can someone more photo savy define a C-print for me?  Is this just a
> standard print or does he mean Cibachrome?
>
> Jon is the first person on the list that prefers to scan prints rather
> than slides...interesting.  Doesn't Kodak make a high end 25 ISO print
> film?  I've often wondered how this film would scan at 5x7 or 8x10
> compared to trying to enlarge a 35 mm slide.
>
> Jon, What format camera are you using for this work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> TC
> -
> Please: Stay on topic. Trim quoted messages.
> http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.

A "C" print is a color print made from any size color negative. An "R"
print is any sized color print made from a slide or transparency. A
Cibachrome or Ilfochrome print is a print also made from a slide or
transparency.

A transparency is usually referred to any positive larger than 35mm.
35mm positive images are normally referred to as slides.

The "C" prints and "R"/ Cibas make great scans. There is only one
problem, you have to depend on your lab to make perfect color balanced
prints to start with.

Jim Davis
www.visual-artists.com/paper
-