Re: (Dense Black on) Transparency film

CDTobie@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/29/99 9:27:44 PM, danculb@concentric.net writes:
>
> >If you are printing from Photoshop you print separations by first
> >converting to CMYK.  You can't print true separations from RGB mode in
> >Birmy PowerRIP.  But in CMYK you can print separations even in the RGB
> >driver. Simply select the topmost Space, "Separations" from the print
> >dialog space menu and the separations will print one after the other.
> >You
> >might want to select "Color" in the Epson printer driver ink selection
> >dialog.  If you select Black the separations will print with black ink
> >only
> >which will ensure no color drift but will result in a coarse dither in
> >the
> >highlights.
>
> Coarse dithering is not an issue when you are printing line screen halftones
> for screen printing, what is important is that you can get your screen to
> override the diffusion dithering of the printer!

I don't think it's possible to get a true halftone dot from the Birmy
RIP.

I suspect that Tavia's artwork (the artwork originally in question in
this thread) is spot color vector art, which makes the PhotoShop
suggestion above impractical.

I played around with this a bit this afternoon, and this was the best I
could come up with... I hope you're ready for this...

Print the FreeHand file to Distiller Assistant, with Separations,
separation names and cropmarks selected in the print dialogs. Crop the
pages in Exchange to include the cropmarks from FreeHand. Extract the
pages to individual files. Import the pdf separations back into
FreeHand, one per page. Export to an EPS file on disk. (Freehand will
export all pages to separate EPS files, numbered sequentially. The Quark
EPS export filter seems to work the best. Open each EPS file in
PhotoShop. In PhotoShop's Open Dialog, set the width & height units to
'inches' then set the resolution to 720 ppi and the mode to grayscale.

Convert each file to bitmap, set the resolution to 720 ppi and select
the Halftone Screen method. In the next dialog, set the desired screen
settings.

You can print them from PhotoShop, or if you want to gang them, save
them to disk and print from FreeHand. Either way, print them through the
standard EPSON driver. I used black ink only at 720 dpi.

I didn't say it was going to be easy, but the results are beautiful.

Ken

Luck comes in two flavors...