Re: Art Prints (long response)

Eric wrote:

<<To date, most of my art is drawn on 14X17 Bristol board.  I would like to
print to this size, but the closest printer for a reasonable price seems to
be the Epson 3000 with 13X19 printing.  I do not have color involved in my
art, but the blended pencil has proven hard to reproduce without color
capability.  My art is mostly portraits and historical military art (I am in
the SCA and do alot of portraits of fighters in armor - alot of commissions
doing this).  I was only interested in prints, but have some experience
designing cards.

I have not thought much on the marketing.  Several people have mentioned
frame shops and mall galleries as a way to distribute.  How did you go about
approaching these places and what kind of prices do you get?>>

----------

Eric, I'm sure you know that the Epson 3000 will take 17" x 22" paper. But
for some reason Epson continues to have incorrect info on the print-image
size for the Epson 3000 on their web page (assuming that's where you got the
info). The 3000 will print an image size of approx. 16.25" x 20.75", so it
would work great for your image sizes!

>From the above, it sounds to me like your artwork might be a good candidate
for a quad-tone inkset. This is an inkset in black and three shades of gray.
Some list members are achieving great things with this approach. However, Dan
Culbertson (a fellow list member) has developed a method of printing
CMYK/quad-tone images with the standard Epson driver. If this is of interest
to you, post your query to the group, and those with experience in quad-tone
can help you more than I. My work features landscapes in color.

Historical military art is perhaps your target niche market, since you say
you've gotten a lot of commissions doing this. If doing more of this kind of
work interests you, then consider how to best reach larger numbers of those
interested in this kind of artwork -- both for the reproductions, and
possible commissions. Are there any magazines, organizations, or conferences
that cater to this target group? It seems I've also seen catalogs featuring a
multitude of military-associated decorative and functional items. Perhaps an
ad, contacting such a magazine about doing their cover, an appearance and/or
lecture at one of these group's meetings, a booth offering your work for sale
at an annual conference, etc. Whenever art is of a specialized subject as the
above is, that means the market is narrower, but in some ways that makes the
marketing easier -- because you know exactly whom you're aiming your
promotions at -- a little 'niche.' Also, because the art is a specialized
subject matter, there may be less 'competition' from other artists, which can
be nice. I sometimes feel that many artist's works get lost in the sea of art
that's out for people to pick from now there. Specialization helps an artist
stand out.

But that specialization will mean that many framers may not feel they have
customers interested in military art subjects. So trying to devote
significant sales efforts to frame shops and mall stores may not pay off.
Those who purchase will want the prints at wholesale too (50% of retail). You
may want to consider how you could best reach your potential retail customers.

But if military art is not of Significant Interest, then re-think this, as
you don't want to build yourself into a narrow market where the subject
matter soon starts to feel limiting and unfulfilling to you. For an artist,
feeling enlivened by creativity is the most important thing you can do for
yourself, for your relationships, and for your art.

My limited-edition and open-edition lithographic reproductions of my work
began 14 years ago, from paintings I did of the Tulsa, Oklahoma city skyline
and city park scenes. Initially I aimed my marketing efforts toward the
specialized market of Tulsans and those who had lived there. I created quite
a local following and clientele. But because the park scenes were nice
landscapes in their own right, they began to attract a larger market, then
attracted the attention of a publisher and are now licensed for reproduction
by Portal Publications (an international art publisher and distributor).

So while digital self-publishing is an option, you might also consider
looking for art publishers who produce historic/military art reproductions.
They may be interested in licensing your work for reproduction and
distribution (and paying you a royalty). You can still reproduce other art in
small quantity, for your own sales. The nice thing about the use of the Epson
3000 (with archival inks and media) is that you can produce a small edition
of signed & numbered prints, which if you have the market for them, can be a
nice financial benefit without great effort or overhead.

You asked about my prices. The average retail on my signed & numbered
limited-edition is usually $95 retail (edition of 1000), and on open-edition
is $35 (approx. 16" x 20" image sizes). Remember though that the bulk of my
sales are wholesale. I still service about 60 frame shop accounts.

Having reproductions of your own artwork can be tremendously exciting. It can
even be kinda addictive, especially when the public responds well. For
myself, I am beginning to lessen my publishing and marketing efforts. It has
taken increasing time away from the creative process, and health scares
recently have awakened me to other things I'd rather have my life filled with
-- primarily more time for joyous creating. So I am now focusing on the
creation of original art that I then seek to license to other publishers to
reproduce and market.

The digital worlds and the art worlds combine to create many possibilities
for you. I hope you enjoy many rewards from your exploration of both!

Ken Johnston  /  Heartworks, Inc. /  Dallas, TX  USA  /  972-271-1313
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.  -Isaac
Newton