Re: Birmy 5.2 vs. Epson Driver

Rafe B. wrote:

> At 01:42 AM 6/12/99 -0700, Ken K wrote:
> >Rafe B. wrote:

> Don't tell this to Mr. Tobie, but I
> actually went back to Borders and bought the Blatner/Fraser
> book...

Heh, heh, heh... There's a lot of good info in their books, I always
recommend them. I'm a "Work-in-RGB-as-long-as-possible" kinda guy, so I
enjoy their books. :)

> There is a 1440 dpi setting on the RIP driver control panel,
> but the software ignores it, and prints at 360x360 if I
> try to use it.  If I choose 720x720, it uses that, but I
> find the results quite unsatisfactory, noticeably poorer
> than the Epson driver at the same setting.

OK. I've never used it with a 1440-capable printer, so I was just
guessing. Sounds like you've stumbled upon a bug in the program.

> But I'm
> not in a position to pay $1000 or more for a RIP, unless
> I can see some really dazzling benefits.

I'm with you there... I got by with SuperPrint for a couple of years,
until I started running into too many things it woludn't RIP properly.
It DID have one good quality - it interpreted the PostScript and then
apparently handed it off to the standard EPSON driver, so the dithering
was sweet, but the colors went through the CMYK-RGB-CcMmYK gauntlet.

> I didn't know that this was a "CMYK" RIP,
> in particular.

I've since been corrected on this point by 'CD'. Acording to him, the
Birmy handles RGB just fine. I've never had occasion to try it. It's
good to know.

> I would expect (though I haven't tried) that the RIP
> would do a far better job at printing CMYK files than
> the Epson driver.  However, until the basic resolution/
> dithering issues are resolved, there's no point moving
> to that next stage of experimentation.

I'm a little disappointed in the dithering myself, but it gets me by.

> >> I don't see any particular color controls in this
> >> RIP.  In fact, nothing at all for "tweaking" the
> >> CMYK behavior.  Was I expecting too much?
> >
> >Perhaps. I think the RIPs that have color control are in the "Over $500
> >Club".

'CD' got me here too, he said that there *are* color controls, it's just
that *I've* never found the color controls yet. Hopefully I'll get a
chance to break out the 'Fine Manual' and look for them soon.

> Lordy knows why Birmy couldn't have just made it
> available as a download from their web site.

I wondered about that very same thing, because when I purchased the
product (mail order) the first thing I noticed is that the Demo CD and
the purchased product are one and the same - it's the validation floppy
that makes the difference.

> I've
> downloaded some 15 MB demos before...  not fun,
> but the computer doesn't mind staying up all night.

It's a good thing! Mine stands night watch on the digital frontier quite
often. Lots of large downloads out there these days. Netscape 4.xx, NT
Service Pack 4...

Ken

Luck comes in two flavors...