Birmy 5.2 vs. Epson Driver

OK, so I've decided to try working through a RIP,
just to see what it's all about, and what might
be gained over the Epson print driver.

So far, not impressed, but I may be doing everything
wrong.  Looking for clues/suggestions.

Ordered the demo of Birmy's PowerRip (V 5.2) for the
Epson 700.  The machine I'm working from is a reasonably
up-to-date and well-powered Intel/Win95 machine.  I'm
printing to a Photo 700, and so far, have had very fine
results with that printer, using the standard Epson/Win95
print driver.

I can't get this RIP to print at 720x1440.  Best I can
do is 720x720.  What's up with that?

At 720x720, print quality is still noticeably inferior
to that of the Epson driver.  At 360x360, downright
shabby.  And we won't even talk about the five minutes
or so that the RIP takes to "think" about the image before
finally sending it off to the printer.

The image I'm printing is around 360 dpi.

***

I chose this image because I thought it was one of
those cases where the Epson driver was trying (and
failing) to print a deep blue, nearly purple shade.
The print from the Epson driver is a bit too cyan,
where my monitor shows it as a dark blue/purple
(say, 5,35,70 or 5,30,50 in RGB coordinates.)

As it turns out, the output of the Birmy RIP is
even worse than the Epson -- even less blue, and more
cyan.  Bummer.

In both cases, I'm outputting an RGB image to the
print driver/RIP, from Photoshop 4.01.

I don't see any particular color controls in this
RIP.  In fact, nothing at all for "tweaking" the
CMYK behavior.  Was I expecting too much?

Comments?  Suggestions?  Give it up?

PS:  This demo was hardly free; cost me $20.00
plus $5.50 shipping.  If anybody else out there
is interested in trying out this "demo," I'll
be happy to part with it for about half that
price.  (Supposedly, cost of demo is deductible
from the cost of the RIP if you buy it.)

rafe b.