Re: Print quality

At 01:43 AM 6/3/99 -0000, you wrote:
>I have stylus 700 printer using no color correction.  Had excellent prints
using a Dell 486 & win95.  Upgraded to a Dell PenIII and Win98.  Prints are
now pink tinged and murkey.  I can't see why, any help????

Dang.  I just spent about 15 minutes writing up
all this stuff about head cleaning, and then re-read
your question.

Before you go too far with this, DO run a nozzle
check, and/or a couple of cleaning cycles, and see
if that helps, OK?

But I think now that Win98 may be the "cause" of
your problems.  Win98 (as opposed to Win95) actually
has some support for ICM (Image Color Matching) and
that may be biting you.

Most likely there are some "profiles" sowehwere
that are wrong, or are defaulting and need to
be replaced with real profiles.  Win95 didn't care,
but Win98 possibly (apparently??) does.

Do you have "ICM" checked or unchecked in the
printer driver?  Whichever way it is now... just
for jollies, try it the other way.  (On my Win95
machine, I always have ICM off at the print
driver; turning it on gives me lousy prints.)

Get some info on ICM.  I think you need it.
Either that, or find out how to disable it.
I'd check out Microsoft's web site for that.

Unfortunately, I can't help much beyond what I've
just told you, since I'm still hanging in with
Win95.

You might give us a hand here and tell us a bit
more about what apps you're using to print with.

Also, did you reinstall the Epson print driver from
scratch, or use the "default" Win98 driver (if such
a thing exits...)  Using the default driver would be
a mistake, I think.

rafe b.