Re: Stretching a circle for a convex object like a mug

In a message dated 6/2/99 8:30:36 AM, SchepList@aol.com writes:

>I am doing mugs with a circle graphic, and due to the mug being convex,
>
>curved, the circle looks like an oval. Is there a scientific way to overcome
>
>this perception? I am currently stretching my circle into a wide oval so
>that
>it looks more round on the mug, but to me it looks a little squarish now.

You're currently stretching the whole image the same amount, when in fact,
the visual effect of a curve is to increase the amount of change
increasinglly  the further you go from the center.  This is a second level
function (logarithmic), and could certainly be written into a filter or tool.
But until then you can stretch different selections, including increasingly
smaller amounts from the edges of the image for progressive amounts of
stretching. This will help eliminate the square look, but the more of such an
effect you apply, the more it becomes dependant on a single viewing angle. In
other words if you rotate the cup, and look at the edge of the image, it will
look now distorted in the *other* direction... <G> So don't get carried away
with this.  And remember that the further around the curve of a mug your
image goes, the more distortion is involved, to a point where you can't even
see it all at once anyways... Something like Kai's PowerGoo, or whatever they
call it, would probably allow you to do this type of distortion in one or two
selections.

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com