Re: Margulis, Blatner, And other Gurus

At 09:47 PM 5/31/99 -0400, J. Arthur Davis wrote:

>Finally!!!! In all the discussion over the last couple of weeks this is
>the first time I heard anything about the Epson driver wanting to work
>in RGB. Did everyone assume everyone else knew this? I guess I have been
>a little dense here. Like my HP 3500 I just assumed the Epson drivers
>worked in CMYK. Ok now its back to all the post to reread this argument
>about RGB/CMYK and which works better.
>
>Jim Davis
>www.visual-artists.com

Amazingly, the User Manual for my Photo 700 makes no
mention of this.  But if you prowl around on Epson's
web site, you will see it mentioned, albeit briefly.
Epson does a damned good job of *not* making this point
well known.  I can't imagine why.

I picked up this little tidbit on USENET, in the
Photoshop news group, I believe.  An obnoxious, but
smart fellow from Adobe clued me in.  I believe you
will also find this information somewhere on Adobe's
web site.

The Epson driver will accept CMYK files, but it begins
by converting them to RGB, and then does its *own*
separation, ignoring your original CMYK file, except
insofar as to mangle it hopelessly.

I was having NO luck at all with color correction while
I sent CMYK files to my Epson driver.

You do understand, I assume, that conversion OUT of
CMYK is essentially a hopeless, dead-end, no-win situation...

rafe b.

June special: 10% off all 22" x 17" medias: Concorde Rag, Capri Canvas
and more. Free upgrade to UPS 2nd day with all ink and media combination
orders! http://www.dygraphics.com or call toll free 888-786-8832.