Search Epson Archive

Re: Two profiling questions for CDT

In a message dated 6/14/02 10:43:39 PM, bobfrost@btopenworld.com writes:

>1    If I am using 6500K for my monitor AND for my print viewing, why should
>
>I use D50 as the illuminant in my Colormouse? Shouldn't I change that to
>
>D65, or does ProfilerPro only work properly with D50 illuminant values?

The standard which ICC profiles are linked to is d50, 2 degree... no matter
what color you use for your monitor, workingspace or wiewing lights.

>(I'd
>
>test it to see if there is any difference, but it takes so long!!).

Trust me that it would not do what you want...

>2    After 2 years or so of unsuccessful profiling with Wiziwyg and
>
>ProfilerRGB, I succumbed to your advocacy of ProfilerPro (with a
>
>Colormouse). Needless to say, I was not too happy when my first few profiles
>
>with this combo produced some nice new colors on my 1270, but with the
>usual
>
>posterisation in shadow areas and some other color boundary areas on my
>test
>
>pictures. For a while I decided to ignore anything else you ever said!!

My advice was worth every penny you paid for it, but seriously, there should
not be a limitation between perceptual and colorimetric intents as you are
seeing; there is something wrong that is causing this.

>    However, by chance I picked up an old article by Bruce Fraser on
>
>Rendering Intents, and decided to follow his advice and try printing with
>my
>
>new profiles and Rel Colorimetric intent instead of the recommended
>
>Perceptual. Lo and behold, all the posterisation disappeared like magic
>and
>
>I had some nice prints - better at long last than the Epson driver prints
>
>(using Epson papers and ink).

I'm glad this worked for you, but it should not be necessary.

>    Am I right in assuming that the gamut compression that Perceptual
>
>rendering uses must have been compressing some of my colors too much and
>
>causing the posterisation, while when using Rel Colorimetric rendering
>with
>
>no in-gamut compression, I didn't get any posterisation?

With some brands of software you could make that assumption, but ColorVision
software does not work that way...

C. David Tobie
Design Cooperative
CDTobie@designcoop.com