Search Epson Archive

Copyright of Eiffel Tower Lighting

Jerry Olsen wrote:
"I doubt this would stand in any court in the free world.

How can you copyright the lighting of a monument? "

Answer: Because the lighting of the monument is an art, a creative work just
as is theatre lighting - structured to display a creative interpretation of
the subject, and as such the lighting itself is a unique work and subject to
copyright protection as are other creative arts. The lighting process is not
just "putting up some damn big lights" just as photography is not "just
takin' pitchers".

Kathleen Wattle

Peter Tattersall wrote:

> On Thursday, June 13, 2002, at 04:53  PM, Jerry Olson wrote:
>
> > And there's nothing from stopping professional photographers from taking
> > a photo of the tower at night, either. I'd be Damned if I'd pay anything
> > to anybody to photograph a national monument! Not a dime! That's almost
> > like Exxon claiming ownership of the sun and adding a $25 fee on your
> > monthly utility bill.
> >
> > Jerry
>
>  From the Official Eiffel Tower Website FAQ page (http://www.tour-
> eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/pratique/faq/index.html):
>
> "There are no restrictions on publishing a picture of the Tower by day.
> Photos taken at night when the lights are aglow are subjected to
> copyright laws, and fees for the right to publish must be paid to the
> SNTE."

Kathleen Wattle
Captive Spirit Photography
        "Capturing the essence . . .