Search Epson Archive

Re: new printer

--- Jerry Olson <jerryolson@rrv.net> wrote:
> Wait for the new 2200 Epson. It will be a photographer's dream printer,
> It has nearly everything any photographer could want, up to 13x44
> inches. EXCEPT one. It is too new for a CIS system, so it will be awhile
> until one is ready, if you want to use bulk inks.

Jerry,

Why would anybody buy a 2200 and even consider using non Epson UltraChrome ink?
The whole reason for getting a 2200 is to gain access to the UC ink with the
7th lite black hue. If one wants to use bulk ink, then they're better off with
a less expensive but very capable 1280. That is, unless the bulk ink they use
is syphoned from UC inks from 7600/9600 ink carts. That will lower print costs,
but the intial cost of this setup will almost be as much as the printer. The
CIS will run about $200. Carts for the 110ml UC ink run about $55 each (B and H
Photo). You need 7. Therefore, you need $385 worth of ink. But that should last
a long while. B and H prices the 220ml carts at $90 each. Therefore, it will
cost you $630 in ink. But this should last a very, very long time.

So a CIS and the 2200 is an attractive solution. Just realize the upfront cost
will not be insignificant.

=====
Visit my digital photography web site along with a lot of other interesting stuff at http://www.mikegreer.com. Also, Greer and Associates (http://www.greeraa.com) offers studio photography, digital imaging services, web site design/construction, and training.

Mike Greer