Epson Print Portfolio

After accumulating many year's worth of film and digital photographs and
their related Epson generated prints, I've come to the point where I
feel that I need to generate a portfolio of hard copy images in order to
better display my capabilities. Some of this is to satisfy requests for
salable images, some is just ego stroking. CD-based photo cataloging has
worked for some things, but there's nothing like having the actual
prints to look at for other purposes. Particularly when there isn't a
computer nearby...or one that is set up properly for viewing. Rather
than re-invent the wheel, I'm hoping to tap into the expertise on this
list relative to those of you who may have already undertaken this task.
Basically, I'd like to know what works and what doesn't rather than feed
Epson's coffers by making prints that turn out to be unsuitable for
portfolio display.

To date, I've only decided to approach this by picking up several
zippered portfolios that accept 8 1/2 x 11 prints and hold up to 25
archival double sided transparent pages. I've got a lot of questions
suitable for discussion, so I'll list a number of them here...and thanks
in advance for any and all help and suggestions.

Bruce Lemmer

1. Should individual portfolios be used to separate the work into
graphics and photography classifications?
2. Should subject matter such as landscapes, architecture, flowers,
seascapes, etc. be grouped rather than mixed?
3. Do you mix color and B&W in the same portfolio?
4. Do you make your prints on glossy, semi gloss or HW matte papers,
considering that these are going to be in transparent sleeves or
possibly left with a customer?
5. Is the best layout 1 (~8x10), 2 (~5x7's) or 4 (~4x5's) images per print?
6. How do you handle a mix of verticals and horizontals?
7. Should each of the images be identified with things such as a
caption, I.D. number, size constraint, date of generation, or something
else in addition? None of the above?
8. Do you ever pull these sheets from the portfolio and leave them with
potential customers and, if so, what information should be on the print
to allow the customer to know where they came from? That is, of course,
information that isn't excessive enough visually to detract from the image.
9. How do you mark or protect the sheets so that they can't be easily
photographed and copied or otherwise have their content scanned and
utilized?
10. Do you use black or other backing sheets placed between the prints
in the transparent sleeves?
11. Is it considered a good idea or a bad one to simulate the photos as
matted and/or framed?
12. When displaying magazine cover graphics, do you show the proposed
layout given to the magazine or do you scan the actual magazine cover
for display? The latter method rarely has the quality of the original
submitted artwork.
13. Would it be considered a good idea to make up a hand-out page with
6-8 small images on it displaying capability and relevant contact
information? These would probably be mass printed sheets rather than
individual Epson prints.

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]