Re: LCD Monitors

CDTobie@aol.com writes:

> In a message dated 5/23/02 4:51:26 PM, kpoth@bellsouth.net writes:

> >3.  How does one setup a 2-monitor system, say a 19" for the working image
> >
> >and a 15" to hold the tools?  Special software or video card needed?
>
> Depends on your platform. On Windows this is not as well supported, on the
> Mac its commonplace to calibrate two monitors. Unfortunately on both
> platforms applications only correct color to one profile, so the second
> monitor needs to have the same colorspace as the main monitor, or it won't be
> right for color work. Thats one reason I use the Cinema 22 and Studio 17 LCDs
> from Apple side by side; both have the same color charateristics, so once the
> specific curves for each have been applied by the OS, the profile from the
> main display is an excellent description of the second monitor as well. In
> your case the Apple 17 and 15 inch Studio LCDs could be used in a similar
> manner.

Not well suppported?  I know a lot of PC people doing it, and most of
them aren't even particularly sophisticated users.  Just plug the
cards in and configure them.  Drag the monitors around the little
display to show their physical relationship.  With the graphic drivers
for my card it even lets you set a separate profile for each monitor
(but I haven't tested carefully to make sure it's not lying about
using them).  (Windows 98SE, Matrox G400 Max Dual).

(Most of the other people I know using dual or triple monitor setups
on a PC are using "spare" video cards and monitors, just going for
more space for text editing and web browsing, not trying to have a
calibrated color workflow for graphics.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b@dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net