Search Epson Archive

Re: Sharpening [was Re: Resolution and print quality]

Bob,
While I can certainly understand your tuning (sharpening) a photo for an
audience that is more that 10 feet away, but my posts regarding the over use of
sharpening, were not aimed at specific use images like yours, but in more
'conventional' imagery.  And by that I mean photos that are meant to be viewed
from an arm's length to 10 feet (or more) away.

What I was trying to get at is that most (not you, or anybody who really thinks
about it) photographers sharpen image without thought as to what it does to the
overall image quality, and they apply sharpening to the entire image equally.

While there are all sorts of visual tricks to be played by painters, that could
be applied via selective sharpening (among other things), those are not type of
techniques that are used by most.

And again, I go back to the photos that Epson exhibited at the Photo Expo in NYC
last Fall.  Most of these images were generally oversharpend to the point of
granularity.  While they looked good at perhaps 10 feet, if you got a couple of
feet away they started to lose the creamy smooth continuous tone quality that
I've come to expect in fine photography.  (I am not saying that there is not
room for that sort of image.)

Some say that this is a new medium, but when people talk about the advantages of
digital capture in photography (vs. film) the 'grainlessness' of digital capture
is *always* mentioned, and *that* is what is lost with mindless sharpening.

I commend you on your creative efforts.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC