From: owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com
[mailto:owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com]On Behalf Of Bob Frost
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 8:47 AM
To: epson-inkjet@leben.com
Subject: Sharpening [was Re: Resolution and print quality]

Kennedy (& Harvey),

I hesitate to continue this discussion, having been doing serious
photography for only a couple of years, and being a scientist rather than an
arts person. However, I don't agree that the only sharpening required is
that necessary to replace that lost during scanning etc. This might be the
case if your photography is of the 'record picture' type - trying to
reproduce exactly the scene in front of the lens. But I don't think that is
what most 'serious' photographers do. They 'enhance' their images, by every
physical, chemical, and electronic trick in the book, to try to produce an
unreal picture that satisfies their artistic interpretation of the scene.
Enhancement of edges - sharpening - is surely just one of those tricks.
[snip]