Re: Resolution and Banding

Peter ,
I don't think you'd get a moiré pattern with an Epson printer (and driver), no
matter what the file resolution is, as the ink dot pattern is stochastic and not
in a grid, whereas the pixels are in a grid....The ink pattern is very similar
to the grain pattern on film, which is to say random.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC

> If you print at 72 ppi then, yes, you will get a low res print even with
> a high printer resolution.
>
> The main thrust of the thread concerns what happens as you increase the
> resolution of the file and it gets comparable to that of the print
> resolution. In principle you should see banding (or rather, moire
> patterns) when the file resolution gets close to the printer resolution.
> In practice I don't think you'll see it unless there is a regular
> pattern in the file itself. For example, if you are printing a 700
> line-per-inch document at 720 dpi you might see banding as a 20 lpi
> moire pattern. How prominent it would be depends on the angle of the
> lines with respect to the vertical and horizontal in the print, and on
> the dither pattern, etc. With photo prints the underlying photo image is
> usually 'random' enough that you don't see the moire pattern, but if you
> have a scan of a dot screen or if the image contains a number of lines
> in a fixed direction then the pattern might show up.
>
> For myself, when I think of banding on my prints I am generally thinking
> of irregularities in dot placement rather than of anything caused by
> interference between printer res and image res.
>
> On Monday, June 3, 2002, at 04:38  PM, John M. Roper wrote:
> > What am I missing here? I have been under the impression that printer
> > resolution and file resolution are two completely different things;
> > that printer resolution is a measure of the density at which it lays
> > down dots of ink; and that, with Epson, any file information above
> > above 360 ppi is discarded. In other words, if I have a 72 ppi, 8 x 10
> > file, and I print it at the highest Epson setting (in my case 1440 x
> > 720), I would get a very faithfully reproduced low resolution print,
> > jaggies and all. Have I been mistaken or am I misinterpreting what is
> > being said in this thread?
>
> -

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]