Search Epson Archive

Re: Resolution and Banding

Laurie,

I agree that if you are using medium- or large-format film you may have
surplus pixels. But from looking in the large refrigerators - full of
professional film at the photographic dealers that I buy film from - most of
it was 35mm. Of the photographers I know, two or three have larger format
cameras (Hasselblads or Bronicas) but they tend to remain tucked away in a
cupboard and only brought out for 'ceremonial' occasions! So I don't think
most of us have surplus pixels, unless we are printing at holiday-snap size.
Although I can see the benefits from the larger formats, my 60+ year-old
cervical vertebrae simply won't take any more weight than my F100 and AFS
80-200 zoom. I even had to buy a wider strap for that combo recently, to
reduce the pressure. So medium- or large-format might be OK for youngsters,
studio work, or those who have minions to carry their cameras around, but
not for oldies like me who have to carry their own gear, up and down dale.

As for flatbeds used for scanning prints, I thought that there was no
benefit in going beyond about 200ppi. I must confess that I haven't done any
detailed testing in this area, as it is something that I rarely do, but I
seem to remember arguments on this list where the 'winner' maintained that
his tests showed that there was no further detail to be gained from prints
above that resolution. So, if that is the case, using 1200 ppi is probably
just a waste of anybody's time and pixels.

Bob Frost.

PS I suppose I could predict that someone will now tell me that a medium- or
large-format combo weighs less than my 35mm setup. C'est la vie!