Search Epson Archive

RE: Resolution and Banding

>I scan at 4000 ppi and print at A4 or A3 (8x10 or 11x16) and only get 480
or
>so ppi at A4 and 360 ppi at A3.

Yes, but you are scanning a 35mm frame at the 4000 dpi optical and resizing
it around 8 times to 8x10 which gives and effective optical dpi of around
what you suggest; however, some either are scanning larger formats at 2000
plus optical dpi which are then resized by only 1/2 the amount you are doing
to get an 8x10 with an optical dpi of around 1000 plus effective dpi or are
scanining an 8x10 print on a flatbed at 1200 optical dpi or greater and not
resixing the image at all to get a 8x10 output to get an effective optical
dpi of around 1200 plus.

>Most people have been arguing for years as to whether we should upsample
our
>images to get them up to 240 ppi or 360 ppi.

I think the upsampling argument that you refer to have come mostly from
those who originally were scanning for monitor or web consumption and then
wanted to also produce hard copies or who were using flatbed scanners to
scan snapshot sized prints or even medium and large format films during a
period when the better flatbed scanners only had an optical dpi of 300 dpi
and at most 600 dpi.  Since the current crop of flatbeds are now up to 1200
optical dpi and beyond, the situation has changed somewhat, although there
are still many ocassions when one is scanning a small original ( even at
1200 plus optical dpi) and resizing it larger that the effective dpi will go
lower than the 240 ppi and 360 ppi so as to raise the issue of resampling.