RE: Profile City Profiles

(Big Snip)

Hello!

Your lin target is not in any particular color space, and hence should
not be used as a test for your profile. Targets are not images, but sets
of numbers. To evaluate your custom profile, you should compare an image
having a wide range of known color values-- one of your own files, or
something like the PhotoDisk test file. This file should be viewed on a
calibrated (i.e. characterized and profiled) monitor using a ColorSync
(Mac) or ICM (Windows) aware application. The colors of the soft-proofed
on-screen image and the print, viewed under appropriate D50 lighting,
should be substantially identical.

Profile City has a well-deserved reputation for quality; I suspect they
are not at fault. Color management is a very complex matter which
depends on a number of factors: monitor calibration; color-management
within applications; and output device profiles. The learning curve is
HUGE! I expect I am about 25% of the way along, but this may be
optimistic. This means I can get good prints on a specific printer/media
combination using my profiled monitor, with files having nicely in-gamut
colors. Most of the time... <g>

Les

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]