Re: Epson spares [was 1270 not printing]

Powell,

Progress I think. After stripping my 1270 right down so I could see how it
all worked and find out how it comes to bits, I thought I had better put
most of it back together while I could still remember the order in which it
came apart (and which screws go where). While doing that, I noticed that one
of the ribbon cables that connects to the print head (and which has to fly
backwards and forwards with the printhead) looked a bit frayed along the
front edge. On getting a good look with a x10 loupe, I could see an exposed
wire that was broken in two or three places! It looks as though it has just
rubbed on the front of the metal trough in which it lays. Looking at my good
printer this front edge of the metal trough is liberally coated with what
looks like silicone grease. There is very little on the defunct printer.

>From the parts diagram and list for the 1270,  I got the part numbers, and
looking them up in the price list of Epson spares, they cost the grand sum
of £1.45 each. The Epson website also gives the nearest distributor of
spares, so I shall order replacement cables (fitting them looks a doddle).
Might also replace the waste ink pads while I'm about it as there is
probably a minimum order and they only cost about 70p each.

So I might just have two working printers again soon. It might be worth
others checking their cables for damage along the front edge. You only have
to undo four screws, two at the front of the top half of the plastic cover
(these are exposed when you lift the lid), and two at the back (at the
bottom of two holes in the cover - you can't miss them). Nothing you can do
wrong (except lose the screws I suppose).

Bob Frost