Re: 16 bit editing...

Mark,

Thanks for posting. That's the first time I've witnessed anybody posting
anything for examination when this topic comes up. I appreciate it.

Now, in examining the images and their histograms, what I see is a lack of
contrast in the 8 bit edited image relative to the 16 bit edited in the lower
end. If the exact same curve adjustment operations were performed, I don't
understand how this difference came about. Anyway, when I adjust the 8 bit
image's curve lower end to closely match the 16 bit image curve's lower end,
then the results are almost identicle.

I've posted the 8 and 16 bit edited images that you posted untouced. I've also
posted the adjusted (or corrected as I call it) 8 bit image. Alos, I've posted
the 8 and 16 bit histograms along with the 8 bit corrected histogram. If you
notice, the orginal 8 bit image has a relatively narrow range in the low end.
Narrow ranges will ALWAYS lead to dull/flat looking images. The 16 bit and 8
bit corrected ranges are pretty much the same and thus, the results are pretty
much the same.

Navigate to http://greeraa.com/albums/bit_depth/ to see.

=====