RE: 16-bit images - CDV's

Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 20:50:20 -0400
From: "Les Berkley" <wogears@fast.net>

Les wrote:

Hi!

A CDV is not a tintype. Tintypes were produced from about 1850-1900 (and
until very recently in remote areas in the Near East) on a metal
backing. Cartes de visite were ordinary photographic prints, from wet or
dry plate negatives made in a special camera with multiple lenses or a
mirror system which produced many small images on one negative. These
were contact-printed and used (as their name implies) as visiting cards.
They were quite popular in the last third of the 19th century.

Lil sez:

You're absolutely right, but CDV did become known as a size, more or less.
In discussing bit-depth I was careless with my historical terminology. It
may be inaccurate, but in common chat I hear the tins from four- and
six-lens cameras referred to as CDV size, as a matter of convenience. It
takes a lot of words to describe them otherwise. But I do know what a carte
de visite is, really. :-)

Lil

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]