Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: Masking, part 1

Original message:

>Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 19:24:41 +0100
>From: "dickbo" <dickbo@btopenworld.com>
>Subject: Re: Masking, Part 1

>Just remember that the masking system described is for dye transfer dyes
>which at one time only Kodak supplied as they had the patents on the best
>spectral quality dyestuff

>That is the reason that dye transfer produces a very good black without
>either grey balance or the need for a black printer.

>You must assume that any other dyes are of lower quality and therefore need
>a much higher level of colour correction.

I would have to disagree with the last statement; no such across the board assumption should be made.  There were several alternative dye sets to Kodak's available to printers during the 80's, most notably the set produced by Morely Bard of Bard Experimental Enterprises of Pomano Beach, Florida.  His was basically a one-man company, who produced a set of 10 dyes (3 cyans, 3 magentas, and 4 yellows).  Archival improvements were addressed as well as spectral characteristics; i.e. a worker now had the ability to choose a particular dye based on the color requirements of the image.  Also, although Kodak's dye set was quite good, it was far from being perfect.  It was impossible to reproduce a neutral gray scale from an unmasked silver step tablet, and printers always complained that the yellow was too warm...

Dave Schrader
Landfall Photo