Search Epson Archive

Re: 3rd party inks

Ray:

You may find the following excerpt helpful. It's from a review of the Nikon 4000
ED by Steve Hoffman at http://www.sphoto.com/techinfo/scs4000.html#Color.

Bernie Epstein

=======================

Nikon Scan 3.1 has several calibrated RGB color spaces suitable for Mac or PC.
Available for PC with a gamma of 2.2 is sRGB, Adobe 1998 RGB, Bruce RGB, CIE
RGB, wide gamut RGB, wide gamut compensated RGB and NTSC. You can deselect Nikon
Color Management and scan into un-calibrated RGB. For Apple/Mac with a gamma of
1.8 you now have Apple color match RGB and Apple RGB compensated and Apple RGB.
This scanner has 42 bit color sampling so you can select to scan to 24 or 48 bit
color in any of the RGB color spaces. The Coolscan 4000 can also scan to 8 or 16
bit grayscale and 32 bit CMYK. See a full chart of the available colors spaces.

sRGB is still a rather new standard and some folks are not comfortable with it.
The following information is a quote and was taken from Adobe Photoshop's Color
Management technical support page. The link to this information is no longer
available. However, I'll print the information and hope that Adobe won't get
after me..;^)

"sRGB is a standard promoted primarily by Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft. It
reflects the standards for HDTV broadcast (Gamma=2.2, Primaries=HDTV, White
Point=6500K).

One of the reasons to use sRGB is that Hewlett-Packard is promoting a workflow
in which hardware devices such as scanners, non-PostScript printers, and Web
browsers will be optimized for RGB data in the sRGB space. If you are using such
devices, sRGB will provide the simplest workflow.

sRGB reflects the characteristics of the average PC monitor. If you are
producing graphics to be viewed on the Web, sRGB will reflect what most viewers
see. The downside to sRGB is that it has a limited color gamut and cannot
represent as many colors as other color spaces. It is not a good choice for
professional prepress users since too much of the CMYK gamut lies outside of it.

Microsoft and Hewlett-Packard think sRGB solves a lot of problems with
un-calibrated RGB. Personally, I find sRGB perfect for web imaging and printing
on my PhotoSmart and Canon S800 photo printers. In fact both of these printers
are optimized for sRGB input. I've been told that the Epson photo printers are
also optimized for sRGB. It is best to know in advance the color space your
intended output device is optimized for before you prepare you image for
scanning. Adobe's Photoshop will allow you the option of opening an image in
your working color space space and profile while temporarily discarding the
embedded profile. You can also 'convert to profile' after your image is created.
This Photoshop feature allows you to scan and save in fairly wide color gamuts
like Adobe RGB 1998 or Bruce RGB and convert it later to any number of other
equal or lesser gamut color spaces or profiles.