Re: Why do Epson printers need black?

Title: Re: Why do Epson printers need black?
  Original Message:
  Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:42:23 +0100
  From: "dickbo" <dickbo@btopenworld.com>
Subject: Re: New Printer - 2100

"What we should all be asking Epson to do is to reduce the number of colours in their printers back down to three colours only.

If Kodak can do dye transfers using CY&M why should Epson not be able to do the same? - that's what I want to know"...

Well, I used to make dye transfers back in the 80's and the cyan, magenta, and yellow dye set were indeed capable of producing an incredibly rich black.  But to answer your question, the reason is surprisingly simple: dye transfer was a continuous tone process, inkjet printing is not.  I'm not saying one is better than the other and believe me, I have no intention of going back to having my whole house smelling like acetic acid.  I could be wrong, but any full-color reproduction system that uses subtractive color dots (normal half-tones, stochastic, whatever) must have a black component to it.  If there's ever been one that didn't require a black printer of some kind, I'd love to hear about it...

Dave Schrader
Landfall Photography

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]