Re: A3

>Tony <artdepartment@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>>The basic thinking behind the "A" system is that the 'basic' unit -
>>A0 is 1 square metre in area with proportions that are based on the
>>Golden Mean, that is 1:1.414 (root2). A1 is A0 folded in half...

At 11:13 AM +0100 2002/04/27, Kennedy McEwen responded:
>All very true Tony except that the ratio of sides on the A-Series
>(and the B-Series, for that matter) is not based on the "Golden
>Mean", also known as the Golden Section.  As you correctly note, the
>ratio of the sides in these series is the square root of two - thus
>ensuring that the aspect ratio remains unchanged when the sheet is
>divided in half along the long side, but that is NOT a property of
>the Golden Mean, which is a much higher aspect ratio.
>
>The Golden Mean is derived from the convergence of the ratio of
>successive terms in the Fibonacci Series, and...

I stand in awe of you all. My participation on this list is that of
information recipient and occasionally I may venture to contribute a
guess, a surmise or an opinion. But I confess that when the A3
question was posed, I feel the faintest glimmer of arrogance. Nowhere
near the respondent who felt moved to actually post a denigrating
comment but just the tiniest bit of "I knew that one".

Then, as I should have expected, the above exchange served to remind
me of my vast ignorance. You've just helped me realise which were the
bits I missed when I nodded off in my college math classes a couple
decades ago.

Seriously though, on behalf of those like myself who receive so much
from this list, I'd like to acknowledge the value of all the
contributions. For every topic on which one is weak, others have
knowledge. The discourse is truly appreciated.
--
'tis as said. [Reality is defined by being described]
-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]