Re: The best inkjet printer to buy

Sonya,

Be sure and use inks and papers that are known to have archival qualities
when used together. You don't want to have unhappy customers a few years--or
a few months--down the road.

If you're expecting to do both color and BW and succeed in this business,
you really need two printers--one for color and one for BW. Switching inks
in a single printer is just not a very good solution.

The Epson 1280 with a CIS (continuous ink system) is the best way to go if
13" is wide enough for your needs. For BW photos, the 1280 and one of the
MIS (http://www.inksupply.com/) BW archival inksets in the CIS would be
ideal. There's a new neutral-Sepia insket that Paul Roark has developed that
may not be listed on the site yet. The more expensive alternative is the
inkjetmall.com Piezo system.
Check out the archives at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint for more info if
you haven't already done so.

Using color inks for the BW work is likely to result in problems with
metamerism. So, if at all possible avoid doing this. I think you'd regret it
in the long run.

If you're doing color work, be sure and use archival inks, primarily because
you have no control over how your customers will treat the restoration
print. Generally, this means using 3rd party pigment-based inks (MIS or
Generations, etc), but Epson is making progress on this front, too. The
pigment inksets generally have a smaller gamut than the dye-based inks, but
you are less likely to have problems with customers as your restoration
prints age.

Hope this helps...

Tom Keesling
Intelligent Design, Inc.