Re: Photo 820 quit printing black - what now?

peter hargroves wrote:

>On Tuesday 02 April 2002 17:02, you wrote:
>
>> Right in the middle of a long printout, the black text tailed off to
>>nothing. I emailed Epson from their web page, after wasting another 5
>>

>Sounds like you have run out of ink ?

I think so, and I suspect I ran out early due to an improperly filled
cartridge. I am still waiting to hear back from Epson on this. I offered
to pay a pro-rated amount for the ink I have used (I guess 1/3 to 1/2) if
they send me a replacement cartridge.

My inpression, from reading the manual and the net, is that the chipped
Epson inkjets are not supposed to run out of ink, ever. That is the
reason for the chip, we are told.

I am still waiting for a reply to my 2nd email to Epson tech support.

>>minutes with "Epson ER". They advised me to run the nozzle check from
>>the Windows driver, which I can't do easily, since I run GIMP-print
>>

>Do you check your ink levels regular.
>I'm just going to install GIMP-print on my system (latest) is it any better
>than what we already have.

I don't know how to check the ink level, so I rely on the maintenance LED
to start flashing, as the manual says it will, when the ink is low. So far,
it has never done this. I wasn't expecting low ink for a while, since I
have only printed about 100 pages of text and 3 pages of graphics.

I am running gimp-print-4.2.1-pre2, which was looking great to my amateur
eye. I have downloaded but not installed the latest (gimp-print-4.2.1-pre4)
because I didn't want to complicate the troubleshooting.

>You could try this if you are running linux.
>
>Nozzle Check
>===========
>
>/usr/bin/escputil -q -n
>
>This was sent to me by another reader Jhon Harpin (thanks John)
>and works a treat with my 1290
>
>regards Peter

OK, thanks. I thought I might have a nozzlecheck somewhere, but I couldn't
remember the command. This prints the same pattern as the self-test, on my
Photo 820, a colorbar, currently with 5 colors instead of 6 (no black).

>>drivers on a linux box. I responded that I had already run the printer
>>self-test and observed that 5 colors are stil there, but the black is
>>missing. I also noted that this is the original (made in China) ink
>>cartridge that came in the box. I suggested that it probably ran out
>>of ink, with no low ink warning whatever. I am waiting for a reply.
>>
>>Can anyone advise:
>>
>> Is this the right way to deal with Epson?
>>
>> Is the print-head drying out and being irreparably harmed while the
>> negotiation with Epson drags on?
>>
>> Should I do something about the head, or just follow Epson procedure
>> and expect them to deal with the fallout, if any?
>>
>> Is the fact that the ink cartridges what came with the printer were
>> marked: "Made in China" vs. cartridges on the shelf at Fry's marked
>> "Made in Japan" significant?
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>>
>>   Phil Nelson
>>
>-
>Turn off HTML mail features. Keep quoted material short. Use accurate
>subject lines. http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]