From: owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com
[mailto:owner-epson-inkjet@leben.com]On Behalf Of Kennedy McEwen
Sent: Saturday, March 16, 2002 10:08 AM
To: epson-inkjet@leben.com
Subject: Re: Video Cards, Advise and Going Wacky

In article <002601c1cc7f$3d30b640$09335142@created>, Rick Cambra
<slp@2xtreme.net> writes
>I want to buy a video card for my 6 month old Intel mother board with
256meg
>of ram. Currently it has on-board video with an additional 4meg ram stick,
>but only shows 24 bit color.

And you want it to show more than that - why?

So most cards use a 32-bit architecture for video output, but they STILL
ONLY USE 24 BITS FOR THE VIDEO DATA.  Don't kid yourself that you will
see more colours with a 32-bit card - the extra 8 bits are not used for
images, but form what is called the "alpha channel" which is used for
special effects such as chromakey, overlays, textures and other video
functions.

For photo imaging they are worthless bits.

4MB, depending on the efficiency of the design, should permit you to get
up to 1280x1024 pixels in truecolor.  This may be restricted to a
smaller size, such as 1024x768 simply by the architecture of the memory
access.  But you won't get more than 24 bits of real image data on any
video card currently on the market.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers