RE: Storage: DVD vs CD

Pioneer makes burners that can make DVD's playable in standard DVD players,
in case you care. The DVR-A03 has just been replaced by the DVR-A04, which
in turn is available in OEM packaging as the DVR-104. You can find it on
PriceWatch for under $400, and details at:

<http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/Industrial/IndustrialProductD
etails/0,1444,21838,00.html>

I don't own this or any other DVD burner, so all I can say about it is that
it looks nice. But it wouldn't surprise me if it was rather hairy-edge
technology, in much the same way that CD burners were a few years ago.
Sticking to CD-R may be more reliable, although you'll only be able to fit
two images on even a 700MB CD-R, as opposed to nineteen on a DVD-R.

Another possibility would be to try some modern compression technology, like
JPEG 2000. Really big Photoshop files generally compress better than small
ones, because they don't really have much energy at the highest spatial
frequencies.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

> From: Mitch Alland
>
> As I am having trouble with my current SCSI interface CD burner,
> I have to decide whether to get an new FW-CD burner or a DVD
> burner. As my Photoshop files are usually about 240MB, perhaps
> that is the way to go.
>
> I know of two DVD burners, the LaCie DVD-RW drive which costs
> $499 and the LaCie DVD DVD-R Second Generation drive which seems
> to be faster but whose costs I don't know.
>
> What are your recommendations as to:
>
> 1. whether to go to a DVD burner, and
> 2. which DVD burner to get?

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]