RE: Storage

> From: Bob Zwarick
>
> I've run dozens of SCSI drives over the past 10 years, many on
> servers that run for years, and I can only recall 2 drives failing,
> and those were drives that ran on busy servers (read/write/delete
> 20,000+ files per day). I have heard much anecdotal evidence that
> indicates that IDE drives have a much higher failure rate than SCSI
> drives (borne out by the poor luck we've had with them). SCSI costs
> more, but I believe it pays you back in reliability. Size has not
> been a factor, in my experience.

All four of the 4GB Micropolis drives that failed on me were SCSI, and had
fans blowing directly on them. Of course, the entire company failed, too, so
they may not be representative.

> From: Dave Emmerson
>
> If you get ANY sudden failures on a system which has been reliable, check
> all the fans, especially the CPU fan, before you think about replacing any
> other hardware.

Most fans now have tachs, and mobos come with software that beeps if the fan
speed drops below a certain threshold. And some CPUs have temp sensors, and
will slow down and ultimately stop if they overheat.

Most of the system failures I've seen have been caused by crud on
connectors, that goes away when the connectors are unplugged and replugged.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]