RE: Video Cards

A lot of onboard video circuits store the screen image in regular RAM,
rather than in separate video memory, which slows down the rest of the
computer and limits the resolutions and scan rates. Fortunately, yours has
separate RAM, but four megs is pretty limiting. Onboard video generally uses
cheaper A/D converters, too, although I believe they still normally have
lookup tables.

As long as you can do true color (24-bit or 32-bit) at the resolution you
want with a high enough scan rate to avoid visible flicker, you can live
with what you've got. But if you move up to a bigger monitor, and want more
pixels, you'll have to invest in a separate card. They're pretty cheap,
though.

It has nothing to do with what's printed, though.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco

> From: Rick Cambra
>
> I assume the video card contains the LUT tables that any custom profile
> would use.
>
> My mother board is an Intel with on-board video with a 4-meg ram
> stick, but does not contain a separate video card.
>
> My question is, what is the difference in having a separate video card
> verses on-board video?
>
> Does a separate video card just display the colors more
> accurately or does a
> separate video card in some way make a difference on what gets sent to the
> printer?

-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]