RE: Adobe announces Photoshop 7.0

>Is it OS X native? That's mostly what us Mac types have been waiting
>for. If it is, they didn't make a big deal of it on the web site.
>They just mentioned in the system requirements that it would run
>under 9.1, 9.2, and OS X - but of course it runs now in OS X
>"classic Mode" (sort of). Someone on the hype page sort of mentioned
>a "reworked interface with a modern look". Are they talking about
>Aqua? If so, they don't say so...? I don't know, I may wait for
>7.0.1 too - see what it is really all about and get the bugs out...
>
>They say it "will be available for preorder in mid-March", which
>means shipping in May, I suppose? So it's really still vapor ware,
>as far as being able to buy it. (Sounds like Adobe is just doing the
>usual marketing thing of whipping up the feeding frenzy beforehand).
>
>Best Wishes,  -Ted

Yes, it's OSX-native (it will require 10.1.3, for some very good
reasons), and it's Aqua. Running native in OSX is a very different
animal from running in Classic, which frankly puts so many
limitations in place that it isn't worth the bother.

Native behavior under OS X and WIN XP is probably the biggest
"feature" in Photoshop 7. I've been working with it since alpha, and
porting to the new OSs has not been trivial by any stretch of the
imagination.

This isn't really a feature-driven upgrade, and Adobe is probably
going to take some dings for calling it 7. I would say, though, that
it's a much bigger upgrade than 5>5.5. The way I measure an upgrade's
desirability is how much pain I feel when I go back to the previous
version. In this case, it hurts quite a lot.

Adobe has always been fairly responsible about announcing upgrades.
They don't announce until they're 30-60 days away from shipping
(compare and contrast with, say, Quark...) Large sites generally want
at least that much warning.

I encourage you to withhold judgement until you've been able to wail
on a copy yourself. I'm sure they'll have a downloadable demo once
they're ready to ship. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bruce
--
bruce@pixelboyz.com
-

[Index of Archives]     [Yosemite News]     [Yosemite Photos]     [Scanner Discussion Archive]     [Gimp Users]     [Gimp]     [Deep Creek Hot Springs]     [Photo Sharing]